Become a Skilled Truck Driver
Get Started Today
Learn more about the hands-on training at North American Trade Schools!
Hone the essential skills you need for the trucking industry in our comprehensive program. Our veteran faculty will give you the hands-on instruction that will qualify you for a host of jobs in the industry.
High-Quality CDL Training in Baltimore, Maryland
Are you looking for commercial driver’s license (CDL) training in Maryland to help you begin an exciting career in commercial truck driving? At North American Trade Schools, you’ll receive the best CDL training from industry professionals.
Our respected truck driving school in MD gives you the skills and knowledge you need to stand out from the crowd. We’ve helped students all over the state get the CDL training they require to begin reliable, high-paying new careers, and we’re ready to help you today.
Explore New Opportunities Through CDL Classes in MD
Trucking is a growing industry that is always looking for new workers. By taking CDL training in Baltimore through NATS, you will quickly train to become the industry professional employers are looking for!
Trucking is a major part of the United States’ economy and there are a wide variety of jobs available everywhere. In less time than you can imagine, you could become a professional truck driver or explore opportunities as a:
- Truck inspector
- Truck safety supervisor
- Trucking and logistics manager
No matter which of these career paths you follow, the training you receive from the experienced instructors at our truck driving school in MD will have you prepared for your first day on the job where you can earn the kind of salary that allows you to live comfortably.
Our program for commercial truck driving in Baltimore gives you a solid background in the trucking industry and the fundamentals of operating trucks and tractor-trailers. At our premier truck driving school, you’ll be learning everything you need in order to be a success once you graduate.
A CDL must be carried by anyone wishing to operate a tractor-trailer, or a commercial vehicle that falls within one of the following classes:
- Class A – Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of at least 26,001 pounds as long as the vehicle being towed weighs more than 10,000 pounds. This is your average semi.
- Class B – Any single vehicle with a GVWR of at least 26,001, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
- Class C – This is any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B. These are usually vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers, or materials that have been designated as hazardous.
What Are The License Requirements in The State of Maryland?
Keep in mind that since CDL license requirements vary according to state, a license is valid only in the issuing state.
With that in mind, the following standards must be met to obtain CDL certification in Maryland:
- You must meet the age requirements (usually 21)
- You must have a good driving record
- You must meet federal physical qualifications
- You must pass the basic skills test, which consists of:
- A pre-trip inspection of the engine compartment, cab and exterior
- Air brake checks and safety checks
- Vehicle control and maneuvering checks
- These tests vary according to the type of vehicle you intend to drive
- You must pass the public road test
- You must have special certification for the following vehicles:
- Double/triple trailers
- Passenger CMVs
- Hazardous material trucks
- School buses
Your physical exam is referred to as the DOT (Department of Transportation) physical and must be administered by a licensed medical examiner. Requirements of the physical include:
- 20/40 correctable vision is needed in each eye, though glasses or contact lenses are permitted.
- Diabetics that are on needle-injected insulin are not permitted; however, diabetes controlled through a diet or oral medication is okay.
- Blood pressure must be under 160/100; using prescription medication to control your blood pressure is permitted.
- Blood sugar level must be under 200.
- Being on a Schedule 1 drug, amphetamine, narcotic or any other habit-forming drug is prohibited.
- Being diagnosed with cardiac insufficiency, collapse, congestive cardiac failure or any other cardiovascular disease will require you to provide the medical examiner with a stress test (needs to be performed within the last 12 months) along with a signed statement from your doctor releasing you to drive a commercial motor vehicle without restrictions.
For a detailed overview of all CDL license requirements, get in touch with the Motor Vehicle Administration of Maryland or consult the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s CDL program.
Get Help in Earning Your CDL Certification
At North American Trade Schools, we’re dedicated to helping you every step of the way through your CDL training in Maryland. Our comprehensive program will make sure you meet all CDL requirements for the state of Maryland so you can get your Class A driver’s license and get out on the road. We also offer Class B training.
Our Baltimore CDL training program is intended to prepare you for a rewarding career, and once you graduate you can begin the new life you’ve been waiting for.
No Past Experience Necessary
There’s no experience required with our program, since it’s designed to be accessible to everyone. You can come into our tractor-trailer driving school without prior knowledge and, through the help of our talented instructors, become the kind of driver companies want to hire by the time you leave.
Plus, you’ll have access to unrivaled job placement assistance services that will get you on the road as quickly as possible by connecting you with area employers who need skilled professionals that have met the CDL license requirements in Maryland.
And remember, financial aid is available to those who qualify!
“The Class A CDL course at North American Trade Schools helped me to start a career as a truck driver. After years of dead end jobs, I finally had enough. I wanted more. Even though I doubted myself, the staff and instructors helped me get to where I wanted to be. I’m proud to say that I now have a career, not just a job.”
~ Pete Kozaliewicz
Contact Us Today!
North American Trade Schools has been helping students all over Maryland, from Dundalk to Glen Burnie to Silver Spring, for more than 40 years get a leg up on the competition and start the careers of their dreams.
Our CDL classes in Maryland will give you the training and experience needed to attract employers and pave your way to success, making NATS a truly noteworthy truck driving school. If you’re ready to get started on a successful and fulfilling trucking career, get in touch with us today by clicking on one of the buttons below.
We look forward to hearing from you, and we look forward to seeing you on the road!